Child Advocates Statistics
Every 8 minutes, a Child in Texas is abused or neglected
In 2009, 737 children in Archer, Clay, Montague and Wichita counties were confirmed victims of abuse or neglect. Of those victims, 340 children were removed from their homes and placed into foster care.
Child Advocates FY 2009 Statistics
- Provided advocacy for 237 abused & neglected children in our four county region
- 183 of those children served last year were younger than 11 years old
- Trained 38 new volunteers
- Volunteers completed almost 5,000 hours of service
- Volunteers drove over 30,000 miles visiting children
Child Advocates General Statistics
- Child Advocates has 4 full-time Case Supervisors
- Our annual budget is roughly $400,000
- Our expenses include cost of volunteer recruitment, training, and supervison
- On average about 86% of our budget is utlized for program expenses, with the remaining 14% utilized for administrative and fundraising expenses
Local Facts on Child Abuse
- In Wichita county 1 out of every 50 children are confirmed victims of abuse or neglect, an alarming number compared to the Texas statewide average of 1 out of every 95 children (CPS Data Book)
- In Montague county 1 out of every 55 children are confirmed victims of abuse or neglect
- In Clay county 1 out of every 77 children are confirmed victims of abuse or neglectIn
- Archer county 1 out of every 370 children are confirmed victims of abuse or neglect
National Facts on Child Abuse (based on most recent data available)
- An average of five children die every day in our nation as a result of abuse and neglect, 80% of them are under 4 years old.
- In 2008, there were more than 700,000 children who were abused or neglected.
- A child is abused or neglected every 45 seconds.
- 3% of sexual abuse perpetrators were parents, 75% were friends or relatives.